You have been commissioned to write a critical article on a chosen category of game for a games magazine.
- Select appropriate games for analysis
- Play games critically, taking notes
- Analyse genre characteristics
- Analyse narrative structures
- Analyse representation of characters
- Write article
- Analysis of the game – Graphics, sound, selection/construction of content, codes and conventions
- Narrative Structure – Who, what, where, when and how? Why do you think the story is good or bad? Link – Article is talking about film but relates to game story too.
- Representation of Characters – Who are the main characters?. Are they represented positively or negatively? Are they stereotypes?
- Define the audience/Target demographic. Who is the game aimed at?
- How is that audience addressed
- The chosen games genre analysed – Has the genre changed over the years? What do we expect from the genre and does the game deliver.