Audience Response and Behaviour
For this part of the unit you are going to be doing some research into the effects of First/Third person action games (E.g Call of Duty, Halo, Uncharted) and violent video games.
Read through the following interesting articles:
Then watch this BBC Horizon video “Are video games really that bad?” above. You should make notes as you do this.
You could also take a look at Eurogamer’s article about the video:
When finished do some of your own research into violent first and third person action games and the effects of violence in video games. For now make notes/bookmark anything useful that you find.
Post your survey here: Survey Link
In groups of four construct a survey asking about the effects of violent first and third person action games on under 18 year olds. Use surveymonkey.com( or another similar site). Make sure you use both Qualitative and Quantitative questions. Keep in mind that the free version of Survey Monkey only allows for 10 questions.
Examples of the type of questions you could include:
- What is your gender?
- How old are you?
- How many hours do you spend a week playing video games?
- Do you play shoot’em up style video games?
- Would you describe yourself as an aggressive gamer?
- Have you ever played a game with a certificate higher than your age?
- How old were you when you first played an 18 + game?
- How did you aquire said game/s?
- Do you prefer games with violence involved?
- Do you believe the graphics of damages and injury are accurate video games?
- Do you believe video games influence you mentality?
- What kinds of emotions do you feel when you play shoot’em up games?
- What do you think of violence in video games?
- Has a violent scene in a game ever shocked you or caused distress?
- Do you think Shoot’em ups have any impact on your behavior?
Apply the questionnaire getting fellow students to complete it.
Assignment Sheet (This is task 1 of the assignment)
Write an article for a fanzine on the effects of violent action games(First/Third person) on under 18 year olds. This could be done as a blog or written report. Use all the information you have gathered so far including your survey and make sure you come to your own conclusions backed by facts and using references. Include in your article:
- Hypodermic Needle Model
- Uses and Gratification Theory
- Passive or Active Consumption
- Effects or exposure to explicit sexual or violent content
- Effects of Advertising
- Health Concerns
- Censorship Debates
- Cultural Competence
- Fan Culture